Dignity Health’s Bariatric Surgery program offers a multidisciplinary, team-centered approach to weight loss surgery that has been recognized by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. The programs at Methodist Hospital and Mercy San Juan Medical Center are considered Bariatric Surgery Centers of Excellence. That means the industry’s experts recognize us for providing safe, top-quality surgical care.
Our skilled bariatric surgeons are completely committed to quality, with a focus on the safety, comfort and long-term wellness of our patients. We place an emphasis on educating patients about bariatric surgery to help them determine if weight loss surgery is their best option and, if so, which procedure is most appropriate.
Weight Loss Surgery Options
Dignity Health’s Sacramento Bariatric Surgery Program offers patients three types of weight loss surgery:
- The Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass is considered the gold standard in bariatric surgery and is the most widely used weight loss surgery procedure for patients seeking significant results
- Sleeve Gastrectomy is a restrictive bariatric surgery procedure in which 85 percent of the stomach is removed
- The Lap Band® is the least invasive weight loss surgery procedure, performed using a minimally invasive/laparoscopic technique
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
We recognize the obstacles and challenges you face every day and applaud you for taking the first step on your journey toward better health. To qualify for bariatric surgery, you must meet the following criteria established by the National Institutes of Health and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery:
- You are more than 100 pounds over your ideal weight
- You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or greater or a BMI of 35-39.9, along with two or more medical conditions such as diabetes and/or hypertension which would improve significantly with weight loss
- You have tried and been unable to lose weight through diet and exercise
- You are prepared to make a lifelong commitment to dietary, exercise and behavioral changes necessary for long-term success
- You have no mental or behavioral disorders that may interfere with long-term weight loss success
Why Choose Dignity Health for Weight Loss Surgery?
The physicians and staff associated with Dignity Health’s Sacramento Bariatric Surgery Program will be with you every step of the way, from our introductory education session and physician consultation, to nutrition counseling, weight loss surgery and post-surgery support. We’re here to help you develop the tools to begin your new life—a life of improved health, activity and longevity.