At Dignity Health Sacramento-area hospitals, our team of specially trained robotic surgeons leads the way in minimally invasive techniques with the da Vinci® Surgical System.
Our robotic surgery program features specialties in:
Benefits of Robotic Surgery
Minimally invasive, robotic surgery technology such as da Vinci offers eligible patients a variety of advantages over traditional invasive procedures. Benefits include shorter hospital stays, quicker recovery times and less pain, scarring and loss of blood, plus a reduced risk of wound infections.
Additionally, the robotic technology helps Dignity da Vinci surgeons improve patient experiences and outcomes in three important ways:
- Simplifies many existing minimally invasive procedures, allowing robotic surgeons to perform standard laparoscopic procedures more quickly and easily. Standard laparoscopy uses small incisions to insert long-shafted instruments, but has certain limitations that robotic surgery does not when the procedure, patient's anatomy or condition is particularly challenging or complex.
- Robotic surgery makes difficult operations routine. The da Vinci surgery system allows more surgeons to confidently perform complex procedures using a minimally invasive approach.
- da Vinci surgery makes new minimally invasive surgical procedures possible. A number of procedures that could not be performed using traditional technologies can now be performed using robotic surgery with da Vinci’s advanced features and extensive instrumentation.
Why Choose Dignity Health for da Vinci Robotic Surgery?
Three of Dignity Health’s Sacramento-area hospitals feature da Vinci surgery and offer an extensive robotic surgery team of specially-trained doctors in each of the six specialty areas listed above.
- Mercy San Juan Medical Center is the only local hospital to have two da Vinci surgery systems to meet growing community demand for robotic surgery.
- Dignity Health-affiliated urologist Javid Javidan, MD, completed the first nephroureterectomy using the da Vinci surgery system in Northern California to treat kidney cancer. Only two robotic surgery specialists in all of California have performed this complex procedure.
- Dignity Health-affiliated colorectal surgeon James Myers, MD, is the only robotic-trained colorectal surgeon in the greater Sacramento area.
See a Minimally Invasive Surgery Specialist
You may be a candidate for robotic-assisted surgery or other minimally invasive procedures
. For a referral to a Dignity Health specialist, please call 888.253.1704.